As a result of the help and donations from volunteers and other community members, our fundraisers were more successful than we could have imagined. Through this blog, we will keep you updated on our journey as we put all of your donations to good use.



Saturday, June 9

Heading Back Home


I got my first moment of nervousness and excitement about 15 minutes out from the Chicago airport. It was fleeting as I didn’t want it to get the best of me before getting my ducks in a row with check in. My trip started off with just one hick up and that was a run in with a lady from SWISS Air. She stopped me, along with a few other more stressed individuals, to tell me my carry on would have to be check because it was (in snotty, short European accent) ‘too big.’ Of course it fit well into the requirements and even after I emptied it out so it couldn’t have been more than 15 pounds, I thought I would do what I could to fight it. (Again in snotty, short European accent)  ‘I don’t care, either the bag is checked or you not on plane.’ Just a slight annoyance but it was not a reflection of the rest of my journey.


Switzerland was extremely beautiful. It was drizzling as we landed and every picture you’ve ever seen of the lush rolling hills is all true. It was absolutely breathtaking. It makes me hate my 17 year old self even more than I ever have before. (My distant non English speaking relatives, asked me to come nanny for them the summer before senior year. I opted for pool time and friends instead.). The airport was so nice and my layover was just a few hours. As it was approaching 3:30 am WI time, with no sleep under my belt, I was starting to feel too old for this journey.

I have already met some extremely nice and interesting people. I have spent hours talking about TEP’s mission and have given out a handful of business cards. This is just one thing I love about this job and I can’t help but spew the passion I have for this in every passing. I networked with a German NGO and may get some support on our vocational computer school, met two families that are moving to TZ for water projects, language initiatives and mission work. I spent hours sharing with a girl from corporate America who gets 6 paid weeks of sabbatical every few years. It’s genius really and I’m 100% jealous. I wish more companies saw the benefits of such a program whether it’s paid or not, Americans need more time to experience the world.

All my luggage arrived safely but literally (I swear I’m not exaggerating), one of my bags was the last one off the plane. Always keeping me on my toes… Bilo, Eve (pronounced Ava) and Hari picked me up. It truly feels like seeing my Brother and sister in law after a year and a half of being away. Hari is SO beautiful and warmed up to me quickly. I cannot believe how precious he is and how much he reminds me that time continues to move when I am away. But nothing like the reminder that we are in African as Hari sits on Eve’s lap in the front seat as we swerve through horrendous traffic and soon to be dead pedestrians (not really but I wonder how long it was take me to adjust to the death trap roads this time).
Bilo and Eve welcomed me into their homes with open arms and fed me a delicious TZ meal of rice, beef and mangoes. I have missed the food so much even though I worry how fast I will get sick of it. I can’t wait to taste my first glass of fresh squeezed juice, tear at a flakey Chapatti (flat breadish food) and ravage a questionably dirty bag filled chips mayai (homemade fries with fried egg and shredded cabbage and carrots on top).  The smells and sounds remind me that I am finally back and I love this place.

It is also clear how badly I need Swahili lessons because I’m worse than I thought possible. I hope to get started on those right away so I have the rest of the time to practice. I will be heading to Bunju tomorrow after getting some errands done in Dar. I cannot wait to see Babu, Albert and the rest of the gang. I know it will be heartbreaking to go home without Bibi there because the void of Benny being gone never did ease. For those of you that are not familiar, Benny was my right hand man and good friend during my first trip. He past just a few weeks after I left after losing a battle to malaria fed pneumonia. TEP dedicated FANAKA’s library in his honor. Bibi is my grandmother that passed in 2010 and was the monarch of our family and school. She ruled with stern kindness and wanted the absolute best out of everyone. A moment in her presence pushed everyone to be better and is the most inspiring person I have ever met.

It will also be great to rejoined with Katie and hear all about her first two weeks. I am chomping at the bit to get started on TEP’s projects. It will be a busy three months as always but I look forward to making our donors proud.

Thank you for keeping TEP’s mission alive by reading our entries and sharing with friends and family. I am extremely appreciative of those who have shown emotional, financial and networking support, without you TEP wouldn't be here making a difference.
-Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment