As a result of the help and donations from volunteers and other community members, our fundraisers were more successful than we could have imagined. Through this blog, we will keep you updated on our journey as we put all of your donations to good use.



Sunday, September 9

Chop Chop Timber


As I was busy finishing the ten thousand things before I needed to leave, I was looking around for my right hand man Mwenda to help me with the growing list. I met him behind the house along the road where he was spotting the soon to be falling tree that Babu instructed the fundi to cut down for timber. It was becoming clear that despite the extraordinary effort of shirtless Mwakioma up in the tree with a machete, it was going to take a whole lot more to get this huge tree down.

The ‘house men’ took the big sailing rope from the shed and wrapped it around the tree. Fabian in his church gear took the end and led the five others to take their stance. I watched from the side as they gave all their might at the rope to keep the tree from falling onto the road and neighboring house. The tree swayed too much for comfort and their footing looked less than sturdy. Albert was nearly horizontal when I thought it couldn't hurt if I stepped in; who doesn't want to try out their 4th grade tug of war skills in real life? We tugged and tugged for what felt like forever as we all feared the tree would teeter to the wrong side. The tree seemed bigger than life and my hands weaker than ever before. Despite my fear, I couldn't help but laugh that Fabian was wearing his church clothes to do such a dirty job. One the count of ‘tatu’ we gave it our all and finally it seemed the tree was coming down our way. Before I knew it, we all dropped the rope and picked a route hoping it was the way out. I’ll never forget Albert’s face of shear panic, in slow mo “ruuuuun!”

We all made it out safely and managed to get ten sheets of lumber out of it. Every day in Tanzania my skills and knowledge are used in ways I never expect. Whipping out my tug of war skills seems to put a perfect bow on the last three months. It is this moment I’ll remember when I even think to doubt my contribution to this family. 
-Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment