As a result of the help and donations from volunteers and other community members, our fundraisers were more successful than we could have imagined. Through this blog, we will keep you updated on our journey as we put all of your donations to good use.



Wednesday, December 8

Concert Fundraiser

Dear Friends, Family, and Faithful Followers,

Its been a while since I’ve had a chance to update the blog, and I’m relieved I finally have a chance to sit down and let you know about some pretty awesome goings-on.

Since returning from my fantastic voyage to Tanzania, I moved out of my residence in Winona and back in with my parents in Elgin, IL. This wasn’t too far of a journey, so right now it seems I am the only member of the original “TZ3” to not have relocated far West. I am holding a full time job at Big Apple Bagels, a deli/cafe/bakery. I’m really enjoying the job; my boss is extremely supportive of my work with the TEP and lets me promote the organization at work. The cafe is a pretty popular spot, so I’ve managed to make some really great contacts.

At this point, I would like to thank Hapte Michael, a customer of mine who has been extremely supportive of the TEP and has helped me brainstorm some ideas for fundraising and advertising. He is by no means the only customer who has been helpful, but he has been very instrumental lately. So thanks, Mike!

I have done a few speaking engagements in the Elgin area, specifically to the Elgin Area Retired Teachers Association, the ADK Psi Chapter, and the Elgin Area AM Kiwanis. This coming weekend, I will be speaking at my church, St. Paul’s United Church of Christ, and at Jane Addams Middle School to a few World Cultures classes. A friend of my sister’s hooked me up with a journalist from the local paper, and soon after my return to the US, he did a long interview with me and I ended up on the front page of the local paper!

You can check it out here:


Since September, I’ve managed to raise over $2000! This is not so much because of my efforts, but because of many dedicated family members have been so helpful and generous- donating their time, talents, and treasure.

The event we are getting ready for right now is a benefit concert, which will take place on December 29th at Clearwater Theatre in West Dundee, IL. The benefit, called “Concert for Compassion” will raise money for the TEP. We have four bands and a solo act lined up right now, as well as a raffle planned. The bands are the DILF’s, Six Strings, Casa Karma, and The Love Shots. Our solo act will be a wonderful friend of mine from the Twin Cities area named Brandon Rompa. He has generously agreed to travel from Minnesota (during WINTER, no less) to perform at the concert! The Andry family (parents of my sister’s boyfriend) have been absolutely VITAL in setting up this concert, and I would like to thank Zach, Mr and Mrs Andry so much for all their help!

If you’re in the area, please check out this great event! Music will start at 7 pm and go on until about midnight. I will have dvd’s of the TEP documentary for sale, as well as lots of information about the organization and raffle tickets for sale.

In other news, I am planning on returning to Tanzania soon! My relentless work schedule has paid off and I now have enough money to return to Tanzania and stay with the Kahatanos for at least five months. A colleague of mine from the Women Studies Program at WSU, Kristiana, also plans on going with me this time. She will be graduating this Friday, and is very excited to make the journey. So hopefully you will start hearing from her soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment