As a result of the help and donations from volunteers and other community members, our fundraisers were more successful than we could have imagined. Through this blog, we will keep you updated on our journey as we put all of your donations to good use.



Thursday, June 21

Fabrics Galore 6/21/12


Fabrics Galore


 Today Cassie took me into town (Dares Salaam) to the textile market. When she told me about this place, she said there were lots and lots of fabrics of all sizes and colors. I thought; ok this will be fun to go and see not really knowing what to expect. We hopped on a bus and headed to the textile market. When we got there it was nothing like I was expecting. I was thinking there would be a few very large shops of fabrics; but there were blocks and blocks of different stores for textiles. There was every color of fabric there that you could imagine from plain colors of blue and pink to tie dyed fabrics, to fabrics that had paintings on them, and even some fabrics that had gold stitching on them.
 
There were also different sizes of fabrics. There were fabrics used for wipe cloths to fabrics for clothes to fabrics for blankets, blinds or tapestries. They were gorgeous! The streets were lined with piles and piles of these fabrics and many rows of fabrics. Some of the piles reached from the ground to as high as I stand. I could run my fingers right through these fabrics to touch and feel any of the fabrics I wanted to. Some of the textiles were very soft while others were a little rough. There were hundreds of people selling these fabrics. Every step you took was another person selling these textiles.

 
I bought a lot of them; I bought some big and some small. It was an experience that I will remember forever.
-Katie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment