As a result of the help and donations from volunteers and other community members, our fundraisers were more successful than we could have imagined. Through this blog, we will keep you updated on our journey as we put all of your donations to good use.



Thursday, June 3

Star Wars Garb Meets Traditional Tanzanian Dress

Greetings, dedicated followers! This week, I (Eileen Moeller) will be your faithful correspondent. Last week, Cassie Parkhurst, the founder of The Tanzanian Education Project, gave you the run-down of how our travels went and the happenings of our first few days in Tanzania. Cassie, myself, and our colleague Teresa O’Neill will be switching off every week as far as who updates the blog. So, this week, you get to see our adventures in Tanzania through my (Eileen’s) eyes, and next week, you will be updated by our very own Irish lass, Teresa.

We have been in Bunja A, Tanzania, for a little over a week now. In the past week, we have visited Dar es Salaam, laid out plans for the libraries at both ELA Nursery School and Fanaka Memorial Secondary School, supervised exams, had the Fanaka school bus assessed, visited the students at ELA again, and made many new friends among both the faculty and students at Fanaka. I cannot express how much I am enjoying my first trip to Tanzania. Bibi and Babu (our adoptive Grandmother and Grandfather) are wonderful hosts, and treat us like queens.

Last Friday was our first full day at Fanaka. Half of last week, and all this week, students are taking their final exams before a one-month holiday during the month of June. The students work very hard, and all three of us (Cassie, Teresa and I) usually spend some time with individual students after exams helping with English, Biology, Math or Civics. We have also been able to split up teaching loads in the past week, and we will start teaching when classes resume the first week of July.

I, thankfully, will have an opportunity to put my Liberal Arts degree to use, as I will be teaching English to Form II, III and IV students (similar to sophomore, junior and senior in high school) and probably start a drama club-- friends and family, please take a moment to appreciate this full use of an otherwise useless degree, because once I leave this country, it will probably never happen again...

Teresa will be teaching Biology for Form II, III and Mathematics for Form III, and Cassie will be teaching English for Form I students, as most of her time will be spent doing administrative and planning for Fanaka and The Tanzanian Education Project. We are all anxious to begin teaching, but in the meantime, we will be planning further and building the libraries in Fanaka and ELA nursery school during the holiday. We will also plan out the library for Olof Bethsaida Secondary School and Orphanage, but have not yet been able to visit the school, as it is still rainy and the roads are too muddy.

In other news, we have received more word on the sea container! The news is both good and bad, in that we learned there was a strike in South Africa, so the container had not actually yet reached the port in Dar, so we are not accumulating fees. However, now we have to wait until June 10 to get our books. Though we are frustrated that those valuable supplies which were so generously donated will take a bit longer to get into the hands of students, we are grateful our budget hasn’t taken any more hits.

For those who may be interested as to why, I, Eileen Moeller (Spyleen to some close friends) decided to join Cassie on this grand adventure, please allow me a moment to enlighten you. As a concerned activist and aspiring world-saver, I have for a few years been looking for a volunteer opportunity where any money I spent would only go towards my travel and lodging, and to those I would be assisting. With many volunteer placement programs, the bulk of the money paid to the organization stays in the United States, which doesn’t benefit any needy parties. When Cassie came back from her first trip to Tanzania and began TEP, I was taken in by her enthusiasm, and amazed by how close and concerned about this family and these schools she became in just a few months.

After asking many questions, and making my family worry a lot (ha), I finally bought my ticket to Tanzania. I will be here for three months, and I already know after a week and a half among this fantastic family and at these schools that three months will be much too short a time. I am already in the process of making plans to come back early next year, hopefully for six months or so. There is much work to be done, but Bibi, Babu and their family are enthusiastic and incredibly grateful for our help, and anxious to start the many projects that ELA and Fanaka need so deperately. I can’t even imagine how much more dedicated I will feel to TEP after visiting Olof (hopefully later this week).

Plans for this week: Finish drawing up ground plans for the three libraries (etched out by yours truly), finalize pricing and construction with carpenter, locate building supplies for the libraries, finalize all paperwork for the arrival of the shipping container and continue working on the budgets for ELA and Fanaka.

With that, I wish all of our friends, family and other concerned parties well in the coming week, and I hope you are all enjoying your summers. May the Force be with you.

PS: It turns out Kongas (traditional skirts/dresses worn by most African women) look really great with Star Wars t-shirts. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment